Short Description: Sophrosyne is the Ancient Greek virtue in which excellence of character and soundness of mind are held paramount. A person who embodies sophrosyne will also exhibit such qualities as moderation, temperance, purity, self-control. The Sophrosyne shawl begins with a simple garter stitch body. Rather than ending with a ﬂashy lace border, the shawl finishes with an orderly mesh lace.
Gauge: 22 sts and 48 = 4 in./10 cm in garter stitch in US 5 (3.75 mm) after blocking.
Gauge is not crucial to this project, but varying gauges will aﬀect yardage and final measurements.
Finished Measurements / Sizing: One size but can be easily adjusted to make smaller or larger - through the body or border.
- Wingspan: 64 in./162.5 cm; Depth: 16 in./40.5 cm
Materials Used: Yarn:
- C1: 320 - 360 yd./290 - 340 m; C2: 220 - 250 yd./200 - 230 m.
- Harnie Hoolie’s Designs Soft Minky Warm Minky (37% Mink, 18% Cashmere, 12% Merino, 33% Viscose; 360 yd./330 m).
- 1 skein in Silver Mist (C1), 1 skein in Romantique (C2).
- The blend of mink, cashmere, merino and viscose results in an extremely soft and elastic yarn, produces a soft halo that has a slight drape to it, but holds shape well. The yarn may pill as you knit.
- US 5 (3.75 mm) 36-in./90 cm circular needle.
- A long circular needle is recommended in order to accommodate the large number of stitches as the shawl grows
Pattern Includes: written instructions