Short Description: Prism by Emily Greene Knits. Prism is a striking, textured beanie worked in the round, featuring an allover pattern of diagonal cables and lace that is both graphic and feminine. Details like the tubular cast-on, seamless transitions from ribbing to cables, and hidden crown decreases yield a polished finished accessory with a high-end, ready-to-wear look. Version A is a close-fitting, modern beanie with a single brim, while Version B has a slouchy fit, a deep, folded brim, and is topped with a jaunty pom-pom.
Gauge: 32-stitch chart repeat measures 4 5/8” wide, blocked and unstretched; 24 stitches x 36 rows = 4” square in 1x1 ribbing knit in the round, blocked and unstretched
Finished Measurements: This pattern is written in one size; both versions measure 18 1/2” circumference, blocked and unstretched, to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-23”. Version A measures 7 3/4” long, Version B measures 9” long as worn with 2 3/4” brim folded up (11 ¾” total length, unfolded).
- Version A: 150 yards (137 meters) of worsted weight wool or wool-blend yarn
- Version B: 325 yards (297 meters) of worsted weight wool or wool-blend yarn
- Note: If omitting pom-pom, or using a pre-made or contrasting pom-pom, Version B requires 230 yards (210 meters) of worsted weight yarn for the hat only.
- Recommended yarn is Plucky Knitter Snug Worsted (70% merino / 20% cashmere / 10% alpaca); samples shown in colors ‘Wintry Mix’ (Version A) and ‘O Captain My Captain’ (Version B). Similar cable-spun, worsted weight wool or wool-alpaca blend yarns may be substituted.
- 2 yards (1.8 meters) smooth waste yarn, DK weight or lighter, if using optional tubular cast-on
- Needle Size A (both versions): One pair 16” circular needles and one set double-pointed-needles (DPNs) in size needed to obtain gauge (36”+ circular needle can be substituted for 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round); Recommended size: US 4 / 3.5 mm
- Needle Size B (both versions): One pair 16” circular needles one size smaller than gauge needle for tubular cast-on; Recommended size: US 3 / 3.25 mm
- Needle Size C (Version B only): One pair 16” circular needles two sizes smaller than gauge needle for brim fold rounds; Recommended size: US 2 / 2.75 mm
Pattern Includes: Written instructions
Skill Level: Intermediate