Little Vest or Dress
Short Description: This design is intended to be practical and gender-neutral (it can also be worked as either a vest or a tunic/dress) and works equally well for the tiniest of babies or for a big kid. A good contender for those last minute baby shower gifts or a quick project when you are in the mood for instant gratification. This design really makes beautiful yarn sing. Use solids for an elegant, understated look, or use semi-solids or variegated yarns for a more playful effect.
This garment is knit seamlessly from the bottom up featuring an easy textured stitch at the hem and front. The body is worked in the round to the underarms, then the front and the back are worked flat. The shoulders are joined using a three-needle-bind off on one side, then an attached I-cord is worked at the neckline and armholes. There are two suggested lengths: vest or dress.
- 18 sts x 28 rounds = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch in the round after blocking
Finished Measurements: SIZES: NB (3mo, 6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo)
- To fit chest: 15 (16, 17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 38 (40.5, 43, 45.5, 48.5 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.
- Garment chest at underarms: 16.5 (17.25, 18.25, 19, 20 // 22.75, 25.25, 27, 28) inches or 42 (44, 46.5, 48.5, 51 // 58, 64, 68.5, 71) cm.
- US 8 or 5 mm circular needle (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge). Length: 16-inch or 40cm, (except for sizes 6yo and 8yo which require 24-inch or 60cm length)
- US 7 or 4.5 mm (or one size smaller than above) double pointed needles for I-cord bind off at neckline and armholes.
- crochet hook (for provisional cast on)
Pattern Includes: 9 sizes. Also includes: two length options, detailed written instructions, links to tutorials, schematic.
Skill Level: Intermediate. Skills required: cast on, provisional cast on and grafting (just a few stitches, link to tutorial provided), knitting, purling, decreasing, knitting in the round, three-needle bind off (link to tutorial provided), attached I-cord (explanations provided), regular I-cord (link to tutorial provided).
Other Details: Sizes available: NB (3mo, 6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo) to fit chest: 15 (16, 17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 38 (40.5, 43, 45.5, 48.5 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.