Short Description: Guthrie is a round yoked sweater knit seamlessly from the top down with an all-over colorwork design and 3/4 length sleeves. The bottom and sleeve hems feature a simple cable ribbing pattern. Instructions are given for cropped or full body length versions, and the sleeves can also be knitted to a longer length if desired. Yardage given is for a cropped version with 3/4 length sleeves.
Guthrie is named for iconic folk singer/songwriter Woody Guthrie, one of my favorite artists. The rustic nature of the yarn and the mix of patterns in this design remind me of American folk art, and inspired me to name this sweater for the king of Americana.
Gauge: 21 sts and 28 rounds over 4” [10 cm] in colorwork on larger needles after blocking
Sizes: This sweater is designed to fit with 2-8" [5-20.5 cm] of positive ease, measurements given are for the finished garment. The sweaters modeled in the photos are size S and are worn with 4.5" [11.5 cm] of positive ease. The measurements listed below are for the cropped version of the sweater, instructions are included for lengthening the body and sleeves to your desired length. Please keep in mind that lengthening the pattern will add to your required yardage.
Finished Measurements: See Measurements Chart contained within the image scroll.
Materials Used: Yarn: You will need 2 colors of DK or sport weight yarn for this pattern. The gold sample is knit in Julie Asselin Leizu DK and Spincycle Dyed in the Wool, which is a sport weight, thick and thin yarn. As long as your gauge matches that given, you can use the weight or combined weights of your choice. The gold version is knit to the cropped specifications, and the navy version is knit to the standard length with long sleeves.
Julie Asselin Leizu DK
- 90% Superwash Merino, 10% Silk
- 260 yards [234 meters] / 115 g
Spincycle Dyed in the Wool
- 100% Superwash American Wool
- 200 yards [183 meters] / 54 g
Gold Sample Uses:
- C1: Julie Asselin Leizu DK in Ale (gold)
- C2: Spincycle Dyed in the Wool in Rusted Rainbow; (multicolor variegated)
Navy Sample Uses:
- C1: Julie Asselin Leizu DK in Midnight Oil (navy)
- C2: Julie Asselin Leizu DK in Birch (pale grey)
- C1: 750 (830, 900, 960, 1060, 1200, 1260) yards [686 (759, 823, 878, 969.5, 1097.5, 1152) m]
- C2: 500 (550, 600, 640, 700, 800, 840) yards [457.5 (503, 549, 585.5, 640, 731.5, 768) m]
Needle Size: Needle size given is suggested. You should swatch the colorwork pattern with the larger needle to determine the size you will require and then use a needle 1-2 sizes smaller for the ribbing.
- Ribbing: US 2/ 2.75 mm
- Main Needle: US 4/ 3.5 mm
Pattern Includes: Written instructions