Short Description: Divid by Emily Greene Knits. Divide is a richly textured unisex beanie worked in the round, featuring an architecturally inspired allover pattern of shifting parallel columns of ribbing and diagonal cables. Details like the tubular cast-on, seamless transitions from ribbing to cables, and hidden crown decreases yield a polished finished accessory with a stylish, ready-to-wear look. Version A is a modern beanie with a single brim, while Version B has a longer brim to be folded over and worn in the classic watch-cap style. Knit in a pillowy, woolen-spun chunky yarn, Divide works up quickly and is as satisfying to wear as it is to knit.
Gauge: 32-stitch chart repeat measures 6 1/2” wide, knit in the round on Size A needles (after blocking); 16 stitches x 24 ½ rows = 4” square in stockinette stitch, knit flat on Size A needles (after blocking)
Finished Measurements: This pattern is written in one size; both versions measure 19 1/2” circumference, blocked and unstretched, to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-23”. Version A measures 8 ¼” in length, and Version B measures 8” in length with 2 3/8” brim folded up.
- Version A: 140 yards (128 meters) chunky-weight wool yarn
- Version B: 195 yards (178 meters) chunky-weight wool yarn
- Recommended yarn is Brooklyn Tweed Quarry; samples shown in colors ‘Lazulite’ (Version A) and ‘Alabaster’ (Version B). Similar single-ply, woolen-spun, non-superwash wool yarns may be substituted.
- 2 yards (1.8 meters) smooth waste yarn, worsted weight or lighter, if using optional tubular cast-on
- Needle Size A (both versions): One pair 16” circular needles and one set double-pointed-needles (DPNs) in size needed to obtain gauge (36”+ circular needle can be substituted for 16” circular & DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round); Recommended size: US 7 / 4.5 mm
- Needle Size B (both versions): One pair 16” circular needles one size smaller than gauge needle for tubular cast-on; Recommended size: US 6 / 4.0 mm
- Needle Size C (Version B only): One pair 16” circular needles two sizes smaller than gauge needle for brim fold rounds; Recommended size: US 5 / 3.75 mm
Pattern Includes: Written instructions
Skill Level: Intermediate