Cruel Summer by Elizabeth Smith Knits | Cruel Summer is a breezy, dolman-sleeve layering cardi knit up in Berroco’s gorgeous linen-blend yarn Chai. It’s perfect for throwing on over a tank or tee (even on those steamy hot summer days!). It’s knit seamlessly from the bottom-up and features a lace mesh stitch pattern along the hem and front bands. I have a video mini lesson that shows you how to work this stitch pattern, tips on reading your knitting so you can avoid mistakes, how to work the slip stitch edging and tips on working with linen yarn (link in pattern to watch the lesson).
(And if you are fan of 80’s music, yes, I drew inspiration for the pattern name from that classic Bananarama song - it’s sure to be stuck in your head now for the rest of the day!)
Note: for errata, scroll to bottom.
- Cardi is knit from the bottom up in one piece and features dolman-shaped sleeves.
- The first st of every row is slipped to create a slipped st edging.
- Fronts and back are separated at the underarms and each is worked individually up to the shoulders.
- Fronts feature v-neck shaping and both fronts and back use short rows to shape the shoulders (using the German short row technique).
- Shoulders are seamed together using the Three Needle Bind-Off technique.
Gauge: 20.5 sts & 29 rows = 4”/10 cm in St st after blocking.
Finished Measurements: Sizes: 1 (2, 3, 4) (5, 6, 7)
Finished Hem Circumference: 31.5 (37.5, 42.75, 48.75) (54.5, 60.5, 66.5)”/ 80 (95, 109, 124) (138, 154, 169) cm
Finished Chest Circumference: 40.5 (46.5, 51.75, 57.75) (63.5, 69.5, 75.5)”/ 103 (118, 131, 147) (161, 177, 192) cm
Picking a Size Tips:
- Shown in size 2, being worn with approx 3”/8 cm of positive ease at the hem (high hip) and approx 13”/33 cm of positive ease at the bust.
- I recommend picking a size that provides you with positive ease at both the hem and at the bust/chest. Check out my tips page (link in pattern) for more advice on how to pick a size based on these 2 measurements.
Materials Used: Approx 805 (915, 1080, 1240) (1420, 1550, 1725) yds of DK-weight linen or linen blend yarn, shown in Chai by Berroco (56% Linen, 44% Silk; 50g = 142 yds), 6 (7, 8, 9) (10, 11, 13) skeins.
- US 6/4 mm 32”/80 cm circ needle, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- For Three Needle Bind-Off: Extra US 6/4 mm circ (any length), or same size used to obtain gauge.
- Stitch markers.
- Tapestry needle.
- Scrap yarn.
Pattern Includes: Written and video instruction
Skill Level: Beginner