Cottontail Slippers by Mara Licole Knits | This design was commissioned by The Farmers Daughter Fibers. Taking my inspiration from their home base of Montana, I decided to combine my romantic aesthetic with a bit of whimsy and a nod to the beauty and ruggedness of Montana. The result is a charming and sophisticated take on bunny slippers referenced in popular media since the early 1930s. This design is meant to be a fairly quick project, fun to make, and invoke feelings of nostalgia and pure coziness. Cottontail Slippers are knit in one piece, partially in the round, and partially flat starting at the toe and ending with the heel. This is a quick but fun project because it is loaded with techniques to keep you entertained. includes seven sizes designed to fit babies 6 month old up to an adult large -- that means matching slippers for the entire family!
Gauge: 30 stitches and 37 rows = 4 inches in stockinette
- Sizes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Slipper circumference: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 in | 10, 13, 15, 18, 20.5, 23, 25.5 cm
- Intended foot circumference: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 in | 13, 15, 18, 20.5, 23, 25.5, 28 cm
Materials Used: You may need more or less yarn depending on your actual gauge, foot measurements, and chosen fiber.
- MC: 35 - 140 yards | 32 - 128 meters of sport weight yarn
- CC: 12 - 68 yards | 11 - 62 meters of fingering weight yarn
yarn used for sample:
- MC: The Farmer’s Daughter Fiber, Recollect; 185 yards | 169 meters per 56g; 100% white and black rambouillet
- CC: The Farmer’s Daughter Fiber, Squish Fingering; 438 yards | 400 meters per 100g; 100% superwash merino
colors used in samples:
- red sample: MC: Pretty Shield | CC: A Case of You
- blue sample: MC: I’ve Got Dreams to Remember | CC: Are You Sure Hank Done it That Way?
- purple sample: MC: J. Rankin | CC: Are You Sure Hank Done it That Way?
- gold sample: MC: Eagle Eye | CC: A Case of You
- gray sample: MC: Natural | CC: Are You Sure Hank Done it That Way?
Needle Size: US 1½ (2.5 mm) | US 2½ (3.0 mm)
Pattern Includes: Written Instructions & Charts
Skill Level: Intermediate