Adulthood by Shanalines Designs | This design combines my husband’s love of hoodies and handknits into one practical accessory. I channeled Dan’s casual, sporty style in this piece with a fingering weight non-superwash wool (to minimize stretching out of shape) in squishy garter stitch. Strategically placed short rows form the crown of the hood. The proportions of this design allow the wearer to remove the hood, leaving a loose-fitting cowl that doesn’t pull on the neck. The join-as-you-go technique creates clean edges, and the entire piece is completed without any seaming. The pattern calls for one skein in each of two colors of Leading Men Fiber Arts Broadway. By reversing the main and contrast colors, you can make 2 hoods from just 2 skeins of yarn.
Gauge: 23 stitches & 46 rows = 4” (10 cm) in garter stitch
- Overall height: 15.25” (39 cm)
- Face opening height: 12” (30 cm)
- Bottom circumference: 26” (66 cm) around
- Front Band height: 3.25” (8 cm)
- Front Band width: 6” (15 cm)
- Center Stripe width at top: 3” (7.5 cm)
- Center Stripe width at bottom: 4.25” (11 cm)
Materials Used: Leading Men Fiber Arts Broadway Base, 100% Non-Superwash Merino, 436 yd (399 m) per 100 g
- MC: 283 yd / 259 m required (65 g)
- CC: 109 yd / 100 m required (25 g)
Needle Size: US 3 - 3.25 mm
Pattern Includes: Written Instructions, Photo Tutorials & Schematic
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Other Details: Techniques - Provisional cast-on, join-as-you-go modular knitting, knit stitch, increasing stitches, i-cord bind-off.