Short Description: This simple hat and handwarmer set is perfect for practicing your stranded colourwork. The pattern is comprised entirely of peeries, which are small colourwork repeats of 1-7 rounds. To ensure the foreground pattern ‘pops’ against the background, be sure to consistently hold the contrast colour in your left hand, or with the strand coming up from under the main colour. Both the hat and handwarmers are worked in the round and knit up quickly in worsted weight yarn. The colour combinations are endless! Try a self-striping yarn or gradient yarn as the contrast colour for an easy, striking variation. The handwarmers incorporate an afterthought thumb so that the stranded patterning isn’t interrupted. Hat is shown in size M and handwarmers in size S.
Gauge: 20 stitches and 28 rows = 4 inches in stranded colourwork
- Hat Sizes: Adult S (M, L).
- To fit head circumference: 19 (21, 23)” / 48 (53, 58)cm
- Finished Brim: 17.5 (19.25, 20.75)” / 44 (48, 52)cm. 8.5” / 21.5cm deep
- Handwarmer Sizes: Adult S (M, L)
- To fit hand circumference 6.5-7 (7.5-8.5, 9-10)” / 16-18 (19-22, 23-25)cm
- Finished Hand Circumference 7.25 (8.75, 10.25)” / 18 (22, 25.5)cm. 7.5” / 19cm long
Materials Used: Worsted weight yarn in two colours. Shown in Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian Highland wool; 220 yds / 200m per 3.5 oz / 100g skein) in Espresso (MC) and River Rock (CC). 1 skein of each colour is sufficient for both the hat and hand warmers.
- US 5 - 3.75 mm
- US 7 - 4.5 mm
Pattern Includes: Pattern with charted colourwork pattern and measurements in metric and imperial. Suitable for first time stranded colourwork knitters!
Skill Level: Easy