Short Description: Celebrate the season (any season) with these fun, nontraditional ornaments! These space-themed ornaments work up quickly and are great for your stash of sock yarn leftovers, in all sorts of colours. They would also make a great baby mobile or playtime toys. Embroidered initials would be lovely for personalized gifts - embellish to your heart’s desire. All of the Orbital Ornaments are worked in the round on double pointed needles.
Gauge: 7 sts and 10 rnds = 1” square in stockinette stitch
Finished Measurements: Ringed Planet: 6” / 15cm in circumference around planet, 9” / 23cm around the ring, 3.25” / 8cm tall
- Sun: 8.5” / 21.5cm in circumference at equator; 3.75” / 9.5cm tall
- Flying Saucer: 7.25” / 18cm in circumference at widest point, 2.25” / 5.5cm tall
- Satellite: 4.5” / 11.5cm long, 5.5” / 14cm wingspan
- Rocket: 4.5” / 11.5cm long from nose to exhaust; 3.5” / 9cm wingspan
Materials Used: Fingering weight yarn, small amounts. About 50g of each colour will make many ornaments.
Lace weight yarn, a small amount, for Sun ornament only.
- Colour A: Silver in Handmaiden Casbah (81% superwash merino, 10% nylon, 9% cashmere; 355 yds / 325m per 4 oz / 115g skein)
- Colour B: Ocean in Handmaiden Casbah (81% superwash merino, 10% nylon, 9% cashmere; 355 yds / 325m per 4 oz / 115g skein)
- Colour C: Indigo in Dream in Color Everlasting Sock (100% superwash merino, 420 yds / 384m per 3.5 oz / 100g skein)
- Colour D: Red in Alisha Goes Around Marmalade (of Ponies) Fingering B (100% fine superwash wool, 420 yds / 384m per 3.5 oz / 100g skein)
- Colour E: Gold in Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace (45% silk, 55% merino, 915 yds / 1000m per 3.5 oz / 100g skein)
Needle Size: US 1 / 2.25mm double pointed needles
Skill Level: intermediate